How to properly take care of your Nantucket Post Cap products
All wood post cap finials are constructed of laminated clear, redwood and western red cedar. They should be sealed before installation with an oil based primer, paint, stain, or preservative to ensure a long life.
Finials are pre-drilled and are shipped with lag screws for easy installation after sealing. The screws should be inserted first into the base of the wood finial using a pair of pliers around the smooth section (not the threads). Then thread the finial (with mounted lag screw) into the wood post. Pre-drilling the top is optional and may aid in the installation. Exterior caulking material can be applied to the base to ensure a tight fit if desired.
All finials must have a proper sealer and/or paint applied to prevent cracking!
Clear, all heart, vertical grain, kiln dried, redwood and clear western red cedar.
Non-slip over wooden outdoor post caps are crafted utilizing one-piece construction.
With our post caps, there is no costly on-site assembly! Simply apply an exterior marine adhesive, such as 3M 5200 to the top of the post. Pre-drill the cap and affix with stainless-steel nails. Your post cap is now secure.
All of our slip over post caps are available in clear, vertical grain, kiln dried, Redwood and Clear Western Red Cedar. These wood types are best known for their durability in harsh environments and their beauty.
Our slip over fence caps are crafted using a 5 piece construction with V-nails in each corner of the molding. Twelve or more stainless steel staples are used to permanently fasten the molding to the underside of the wooden post cap.
For a nail-free look, simply apply an exterior marine adhesive like 3M 5200 to the top of the post and slip the post cap over. Stainless steel nails may be used as an alternative, but not necessary
All of our products are produced from the finest grade of Redwood or Western Red Cedar and sold “natural”.
- Our wood products may be treated with a clear sealer to preserve the natural wood color while protecting them against the elements.
- The red cedar and redwood can be painted or stained as well.
- A marine grade adhesive can be used to fasten wooden caps to the fence posts.
Azek products must be painted prior to being installed or they will discolor and void the warranty. The following is recommended:
- Azek doesn't have a finish and that leaves the material subject to dirt, smudges, mold, and mildew.
- Properly prepared and painted with even brush strokes gives it the appearance of finely painted wood.
- A properly painted finish will last for years, protecting the substrate from mold, mildew and UV rays.
- Surfaces must be clean, dry and void of any foreign material such as dirt, oil, grease or other contaminants that may come from normal handling, storage and/or installation prior to painting.
- Use a 100% acrylic latex paint with colors having a Light Reflective Value (LRV) of 55 or higher.